I had to blow the dust off the old blog to share what I made tonight. I know the Flourless Chocolate Cake has been around forever and every food blogger has written novels about it, but this is a first for me. I was watching old episodes of Bizarre Foods on Netflix around 2 a.m. in the morning when out of nowhere I had the mad urge to make a flourless chocolate cake. I looked up some recipes online and watched a couple of "how to" videos on YouTube for reference.
Tada!!! Nice eh? It was so easy too. Just 5 ingredients and 25 minutes in the oven. I have to warn you though, this cake is beyond rich. One tiny slice is enough to ease an chocolate cravings.
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 stick of butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8" springform pan with parchment paper.
2. In a saucepan slowly melt the stick of butter and chopped up chocolate. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together sifted cocoa powder, eggs, and sugar.
4. Slowly mix in the warm melted chocolate into your bowl bit by bit until fully incorporated.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan.
6. Bake for 25 minutes
7. Cool for 15 minutes and remove from pan. Dust with powdered sugar or lightly drizzle with a chocolate ganache if desired. Add fresh raspberries for contrasting flavors and colors.
I admit I cheated. I didn't make my own ganache. I used a store bought cake topping called Amazing Glaze by Duncan Hines. Tasted pretty good and comes in a handy squirt bottle. :)